Saturday, December 10, 2016

Carl Rogers in later years (1902-1987)

The emphasis on the relational aspect of therapy, in particular the necessary and sufficient conditions, led Rogers to undertake a wide range of empirical research focusing on various elements of the relationship but especially empathy (Kirschenbaum and Henderson, 1990). However, later in his career Rogers began to emphasize the relationship differently, stating:




"When I am at my best as a group facilitator or therapist, I discover another characteristic. I find that when I am closest to my inner, intuitive self, when I am somehow in touch with the unknown in me, when I am perhaps in a slightly altered state of consciousness in the relationship, then whatever I do seems to be full of healing. Then simply my presence is releasing and helpful. There is nothing I can do to force this experience, but when I can relax and be close to the transcendental core of me, then I may behave in strange and impulsive ways in the relationship, ways that I cannot justify rationally, which have nothing to do with my thought processes. But these strange behaviors turn out to be right, in some odd ways." (Rogers 1986, in ibid, p. 137, italics added)

(Existential Psychotherapy and Counselling after Postmodernism: The selected works of Del Loewenthal, Routledege, 2017, kindle location 2887-2893/5974)